|OFF the BEATEN TRACK|
Al-Jahra, 32km (20mi) west of Kuwait City, is where invading troops from Saudi Arabia were defeated (with British help) in 1920. The town's only conventional site is the Red Fort, a low rectangular mud structure near the highway, that played a key role in the 1920 battle. Al-Jahra is also the site of the Gulf War's infamous 'turkey shoot' - the Allied destruction of a stalled Iraqi convoy as it attempted to retreat from Kuwait.
On an arm of land jutting out into Kuwait Bay, Doha Village is the site of several small dhow-building yards and a fishing village of squalid shacks. Buses from Kuwait City make the trip to Doha, 20km (12mi) to the north-west.
|Powered by |